We continued to work on the LCD display to see if we could fix all the problems mentioned before. The first problem we fixed was the decimal and dollar value. We worked with the code a bit more and adjusted it with an additional variable and math equation instead of using conditional statements. The random characters were a bit harder to fix, but we got around to it. The LCD was primarily in 4-bit mode, so we changed it to 8-bit mode by using the additional four data pins. The 4-bit mode is meant for simple transfer of data to the LCD display, but because of the more than simple program that requires shifts in the data, it was causing problems. After adding the additional wires, the problem was fixed. The following two videos show the difference between the 4-bit mode and 8-bit mode.
4-bit mode LCD display
8-bit mode LCD display